Instructions for Using Sensus Access: An Automated Document Conversion Tool
Sensus Access is an online OCR utility supported by Academic Technology Solutions. It is available to th entire University community. Sensus Access automatically converts documents into various accessible formats, including Word Document, tagged PDF, MP3, and others. A common use for Sensus Access is converting scanned/photocopied PDFs into formats that can be read with text-to-speech software like Natural Reader.
Using Sensus Access
- Go to the Sensus Access home page. Follow the step-by-step instructions on the web page to upload a document.
- Select “File,” then click “Choose Files” to upload a file from your computer. The maximum file upload size is 64 MB. To upload a large file, you will have to break down the file into several smaller files before uploading. Select one or more files to upload, then click “Upload.”
- Select an output format for your file. Choose MP3, Braille, E-book, or Accessibility conversion. To display more output format options, select “Accessibility Conversion.”
- Select “Accessibility Conversion” to display more document format options. Then select a target format from the dropdown list. “Accessibility Conversion” is the most used output format.
- Select “MP3 audio” to convert an uploaded file into audio format. Select the desired language and speed using the dropdown menus under “Step 3 – Specify audio options.”
- Select “E-book” to convert an uploaded file into an e-book file. Select the desired format and font size using the dropdown menus under “Step 3 – Specify e-book options.”
- Enter your email address and click “Submit.”
- Sensus Access will generate a submission receipt on a new page.
- Sensus Access will email you the converted document. For shorter, simpler documents, this only takes a few minutes. For longer or more complex documents, it can sometimes take a few hours to receive the converted document. The email will come from email@example.com. If the email does not arrive to your inbox, check your spam folder.
- Click on the URL link in the email to download the converted file. The link will open a download menu within your default browser. Click “Open file” to open and save the file. You can also access the file through your computer’s Downloads folder.