SDS Letter to Newly Admitted Students
Dear Newly Admitted Student,
The University of Chicago is committed to facilitating the full participation of students with disabilities in the life of the University. Student Disability Services is responsible for determining eligibility as well as the types of accommodations for students with disabilities. If you are a student with a disability, and you would like to speak to someone about your eligibility for accommodations and services please contact the Student Disability Services office as early as possible for a confidential discussion about your access needs. Please keep in mind that timely disclosure is encouraged, as some accommodations take time to implement.
Visit the SDS website for more information
University of Chicago Responsibilities
- Respond to the student’s request for an accommodation.
- Determine a student’s eligibility to receive reasonable accommodations (may take up to 2-3 weeks to receive a formal determination).
- Develop a plan with the student for implementation of approved reasonable accommodations.
- Coordinate and provide reasonable accommodations that enable students to access academic programs, services or activities sponsored by the University.
- Self-identify to Student Disability Services (SDS) as an individual with a disability.
- Meet with SDS staff and provide them with supporting documentation.
- Request reasonable accommodations in a timely manner when needed.
- Interactively work with SDS and the academic division as necessary to determine the appropriate accommodations.
- Communicate to SDS, faculty, and/or the Disability Liaison as appropraite regarding the implementation of approved accommodations.
- Charnessa Warren, Director
- Email: email@example.com
- Katherine Fahey, Deputy Director
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Danielle Garvey, Associate Director
- Email: email@example.com
- Amber DiCosola, Assistant Director
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Disability Services
Campus and Student Life
5501 South Ellis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:30 A.M.-5:00 P.M. CST