Process for Requesting Accommodations
A student who has been diagnosed with a psychological or psychiatric disorder who wishes to request academic accommodations based on the disability needs to:
- Speak with the Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or your Area Dean of Students.
The Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or his/her designee meets with the student and:
- Obtains a history of the student's past academic experience, noting the problems the student has experienced and academic modification or adjustment (if any) that the students has previously received.
- Explains the procedure and obtains a signed medical release from the student.
- Requests documentation that supports the request. If new tests are needed, you should emphasize that recommendations should be as specific as possible and should correlate with the diagnosed problem(s).
- Gives a list of Chicago area testers if requested.
- Provides information about the services avaiable through the Academic Skills Assessment Program (ASAP) and Student Counseling Services (SCS), if appropriate.
- Once the documentation is received, the Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or his/her designee evaluates it, then the documentation may be sent to a consultant for review. The consultant reviews the documentation and provides recommendations based on the documentation.
- The Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or his/her designee considers the recommended academic modification or adjustment within the context of the University's academic program to determine what accommodations are reasonable in each case. If necessary, the Director will consult with the Dean of Students and other pertinent faculty and staff to determine the essential requirements of a particular course.
- Student Disability Services and the Dean of Students are responsible for implementing accommodations in the College. In the graduate and professional programs, the Dean of Students is responsible for implementing accommodations.
Required Forms & Documentation
- Student Request Form (to be completed by the student)
- Authorization for Release of Information
- Clinical Verification Form
The following item provides a more detailed explanation of the documentation protocol: