Grievance Procedures

If you believe you have been discriminated against because of a disability by any University personnel, you have the right to seek a review of such concerns. You have the option of pursuing either an informal complaint or a formal grievance. If you opt to pursue an informal complaint, you may later pursue a formal grievance if not satisfied with the resolution of the informal process.

Informal Procedure

It is recommended, but not required, that you first speak about the concerns to your Area Dean of Students. This discussion may help to lead to a satisfactory discussion through the development of strategies for helping you deal with the situation yourself or by having the person who has received the grievance take it under review.

If you are uncertain about filing a formal grievance, you may consult informally with the Director for Student Disability Services or the Assistant Provost & Director, Office for Equal Opportunity Programs.

Formal Procedure

If you wish to file a formal grievance, you may do so by filing a written and signed grievance with the Assistant Provost & Director, Office for Equal Opportunity Programs.

If the subject of the grievance is the actions of the Assistant Provost or any office he or she supervises or manages, the grievance shall be investigated by an impartial University official. All other grievances shall be investigated and reviewed by the Assistant Provost & Director, Office for Equal Opportunity Programs. The purpose of the review is to determine whether or not University policy has been followed and, if not, to address the consequences that may have resulted and shall be corrected. Information relevant to the matter may be requested from the involved parties. The Assistant Provost & Director, Office for Equal Opportunity Programs will promptly undertake an investigation and provide a written finding to the student upon completion of the review.

If you believe that a grievance has not been resolved to your satisfaction after a review has been completed, you may appeal the outcome to the Provost. You need to appeal in writing and sign the appeal. The Provost shall make a determination on the appeal and promptly inform the student in writing of that determination.

If you use the grievance procedure, you shall not be retaliated against for doing so. You may choose another student or faculty/staff persons to accompany you through the steps of the procedure, if desired.