Process for Requesting Accommodations
If you have been diagnosed with a physical disability and wish to request academic accommodations based on the disability, you need to:
- Speak with the Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or your Area Dean of Students.
The Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or his/her designee will meet with you and:
- Obtain a history of your academic experience, noting the problems you have experienced and academic modification or adjustment (if any) that you have previously received.
- Explain the procedure and obtain a signed medical release.
- Ask for documentation that supports your request. If a more current evaluation is needed, your health care provider should include recommendations that are as specific as possible and that correlate with the diagnosis.
- Once the documentation is received, the Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or his/her designee evaluates it and then sends it to a consultant for review. The consultant reviews the documentation and provides recommendations.
- The Director or Associate Director for Student Disability Services or his/her designee considers the recommended accommodations within the context of the University's academic program to determine what accommodations are reasonable in each case. If necessary, the Director or Associate Director will consult with the Dean of Students and other pertinent faculty and staff to determine the essential requirements of a particular course.
- Student Disability Services and the Dean of Students are responsible for implementing accommodations in the College. In the graduate and professional programs, the Dean of Students is responsible for implementing accommodations.
Assuming that all documentation is current and complete, this process may require up to 10 weeks, although typically less. In the interim, provisional accommodations may be based on the documentation provided.
- Student Request Form (to be completed by the student)
- Authorization for Release of Information
- Provider Report (to be completed by your health care provider)
Emergency Evacuation Plan
Students who may require some degree of assistance in the event of an emergency evacuation are strongly encouraged to complete the following questionnaire: